Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wikis are new to me... starting to see the big picture!

Before this class, I had a basic understanding of what a wiki was just because of wikipedia... people can collaborate on information and change its content.

The book talks about textbooks and how that concept could be transformed by wikis.

Instead of teachers assigning reading to students and having them do questions at the end, it would change to having them read a chapter and then validate it!

That is INCREDIBLE! We did an activity like this in my Biology class. In our lecture manual, he had a fake "wiki" with information about mitosis. It was published as if it were fact, but he modified small details so that we could find the errors and fix them. WE LEARNED SO MUCH!

Using wikis like this will require students to know content from many different perspectives and they'll have to put it all together. Now that I know more about wikis, I will most definitely use them for assignments like these! I might chronicle a particular event or era and change the details of it and allow the students to log in and edit the information until it is correct. Students could even add information if they felt like more information would help make the information more cohesive.

This kind of networking makes possibilities seem endless. I'm glad I see another use for wikis than I thought before.

No comments:

Post a Comment